Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Playgirl

Returned from an amazing concert by Ladytron, who's music you can listen to here. I reveled in the beating of the bass speakers that pounded notes into my body. One of the best concert's I've been to, and needless to say their recordings do not do these songs justice. Three years since their last album, the newest one entitled "Velocifero" is definitely their most accessible. With more streamlined lyrics and more flowing sounds rather than straight electronica, this album has been their most successful release yet. I must say, however, that I do love the incessant beats and words of their second album, "Light & Magic."

Maybe this is because I like thinking about light so much.














My persistent companion on all thoughts pertaining to light, I find myself again flipping through Elizabeth Block's "A Gesture Through Time." She writes:
Light races, especially in a digital era of fiber optics. You race at the speed of light. Though it moves through time, we only know its absence/distance/deferral from its object, the source of light. Light is not pure object. It is mere representation. Not the thing itself. The virtual memory of the memory, as OS X operating system becomes OS 9's parasite. Light becomes God of mediation. Light moves, light presents as if. Not is. But, no. Light is (in the twenty-first century): Artificial projection.
Lights behind the musicians, blue, red, white: light and magic. I sent this quote to E. yesterday because I couldn't think of anything else to email her. I also spent all of today sitting in front of a warm fire, tea in hand. I love the fire; I do not love this desire and ensuing confusion.

Photos: Mira Aroyo and Helen Marnie, by Guus Krol on Flickr.com

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I totally almost went to see Uh Huh Her play in London on Tuesday, but then I was like, I love Leisha Hailey and I'm a sucker for novelty value, but their album isn't actually that good. And I'm too lazy to go to London just to get Leisha Hailey to sign my chest.

abby.sugar said...

Yes, I agree! Love her, music is okay, not great. I'm sure the Ladytron concert was a lot better than Uh Huh Her would have been.

Did you know that Mira Aroyo has a PhD in molecular genetics from Oxford?! Who knew!