Friday, June 13, 2008

Kazan Cathedral, no clouds

I am in St. Petersburg! I am sitting in "The Office" restaurant, enjoying free wi-fi and a beer! I am also distracted by memory, its insistence and lack.

It always comes with advantages and disadvantages. Though I still don't speak the language, I am familiar with the area and more confident in my ability to point and gesture for things than I was last year. I remember the cathedrals, the streets, the restaurants, the perpetual light. Beer at 2 in the afternoon, to be ingested as water...When I arrived yesterday I couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch and it was 11:30 pm, and still light!

But I miss the people - I miss everyone I met here and knew last year. I miss the workshop, the amazing poetry.

On my list (what I didn't get to do last year): Pushkin's house, St. Isaac's Cathedral, absinthe...
more to come...

No comments: